- Added secure key compatibility to allow credential definition via constants.
- Added filter
llms_paypal_disable_reference_transactionsto allow explicit disabling of ref. transactions.
- Fixed issue causing recurring transactions to show an empty description field in PayPal-generated email receipts.
- Use the recurring description for manual recurring payments instead of the one-time payment language.
- Fixed a number of instances of the incorrect text domain being used for translation functions.
- Fix issue causing trial pricing to be passed to PayPal incorrectly when using recurring manual payments.
This is the initial (relatively) stable beta release of LifterLMS PayPal 2.0. There are a small number of known issues yet to be resolved. We urge against testing this release in production. Please see our beta testing guide for more information.
The PayPal “REST” Gateway
- A completely new version of LifterLMS PayPal utilizing the most recent PayPal APIs and features.
- Utilizes PayPal Checkout via Smart Payment Buttons.
- Your API Credentials (Client ID and Client Secret) can be found by following these steps:
- Look under “REST API apps” at https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/lifecycle/sb_credentials/.
- If testing in Sandbox mode (recommended) you’ll also want to create sandbox buyer and seller accounts: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/lifecycle/sb_about-accounts/
- The charging and scheduling of recurring payments is managed via the PayPal Billing Agreements API and requires a webhook listener to properly function.
- This webhook is automatically installed when valid API credentials are added via the gateway’s settings panel.
- If you’re working on a local development environment you will not be able to receive incoming webhooks and your test subscriptions will never record transactions nor will they cancel enrollment during cancellations from within PayPal.
The “Legacy” PayPal Gateway
- Renames the existing NVP/Reference transaction-powered PayPal (1.x) gateway “PayPal (Legacy)”
- For first-time users this gateway is hidden and not available:
- To enable the legacy gateway visit LifterLMS -> Status -> Tools & Utilities and click the “Enable Legacy Gateway” button.
- To disable the legacy gateway repeat the above process clicking “Disable Legacy Gateway” instead.
- Disabling the legacy gateway will have NO EFFECT on existing one-time payments made via the gateway. However active recurring payments made through reference transactions will be unable to automatically recharge.
- The gateway itself is marked as deprecated. New users should avoid using the legacy gateway and instead rely on the new REST gateway introduced in this version.
The following classes have been marked as deprecated and will be removed from LifterLMS PayPal in the next major release.
Existing Known Issues
- It is not possible to refund a transaction via the LifterLMS Order (coming in beta.2).
- Due to an issue in the PayPal REST API, cancelled billing agreements do not send webhook notifications resulting in students remaining enrolled in the related course / membership when an agreement is cancelled from within PayPal. We’ll be overcomming this by running automatic scheduled checks 24 & 48 hours after payment is due to check on the status of expected recurring payments (coming in beta.2).
How to help test?
- Install LifterLMS PayPal in a non-production environment and start using it.
- If you find any issues or have any questions let us know by opening an issue on the official LifterLMS GitHub, opening a new support request, or posting in
#developerson the LifterLMS Slack community.
- If you install this in production and we will not provide you with emergency or urgent support.
- Again: Don’t install this in production.